Monday, July 4, 2011

A Refreshing 4th of July

I now have extreme sympathy for our Hotel cohorts. My Jordanian roommate, Sami, happens to be a Hotellie, and when his alarm went off at 7 in the morning my first thought was to yell at him for forgetting to turn off his alarm on the 4th of July. I quickly realized however, that that was no mistake. Unfortunately for these Hotellies, they happened to be the only kids who actually had class today. I went back to sleep feeling bad for every Hotellie I knew, and then was able to sleep for another 4 hours. When I woke up at 11 I felt fully refreshed, and headed over for another nice brunch.


Then a large group of students were bused over to Buttermilk Falls, a short 20 minute drive away from Donlon. At first glance, Buttermilk Falls was nice, but not worth the 3 hour investment. Upon further investigation however, when Genevieve, Isabella (our new friend from Texas) and I headed up a mile-long trail along the falls, I learned just how beautiful Ithaca was. There were countless waterfalls beyond the main one, and I actually ended up feeling bad for those who only got to experience the main fall and the pool of sorts they could swim in. Further up the trail, there was a small but extremely deep pool right next to a waterfall that also happened to be next to a decent sized cliff. At first glance I wouldn’t have even considered diving in, but after seeing person after person dive in without even reaching the bottom, I decided I had to go in. By that time I was already pretty overheated, as we had to walk up a steep and windy trail just to get there, which just added even more incentive to jump in. I jumped in over and over and over, and it was just as refreshing each time. I didn’t get a chance to take a picture with my camera (it’s technically my mom’s so I didn’t want it to get wet) but some of my friends took a few nice ones with their own cameras.


I came back to the dorm, cranked out a pretty impressive rough draft for my Plato essay on his critiques of democracy, and then had a very successful power nap after dinner. Joe and I, along with a couple of friends from Long Island, headed out to a massive hill known as the slope to watch some fireworks. They weren’t much, but it was still nice to be able to celebrate the 4th in some way, although Buttermilk was definitely the highlight of my day. I need more sleep though (shockingly) to rest for tomorrow’s double lecture by Kramnick on Locke, who I will discuss in detail tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment