Monday, July 4, 2011

Home Of The Free And The Brave

Happy 4th of July to all the American’s reading my blog out there. I am spending the day being a typical American student. How you might ask, well I have an essay to write so I am doing my homework today. What is fitting about my essay coinciding with the holiday is that the essay is on Plato’s critique of Democracy. I know I blogged about my essay yesterday so I will refrain from blogging about the same thing twice. Instead I wanted to talk about this holiday and it’s connection, you might say, to my class.

Next week we move from the topic of Justice to the topic of Freedom. How better to start off our week of Freedom than with the celebration of our independence. Last week we had to write our first paper, not graded, about what freedom means to us and I wrote about our founding fathers who we dedicate today to. It is really amazing that we had such brave and intelligent leaders. I mean imagine if those men (and women who supported them) chose not to fight against the British, what/where would we be today? I’m not a “GO AMERICA” kind of person but I do think that it is amazing that we fought for our independence and won it. I also think it is impressive that we went from being tiny inferior country to the powerhouse we are today.

I also would like to say I miss my family. Not in a ‘I am home sick’ way, but it is always just nice to be home on a day like today. I guess what I am trying to say is I really wish I was home to see the fireworks from my rock. The view I have from my dorm just does not compare to the whole view of the bay that I get from my rock. I have also heard rumors that there will be no fireworks tonight that we can see here from Cornell. Though I am not sure if that is true.

Well I must continue writing my essay. Until tomorrow, Over and Out blog readers.

2 comments:

  1. It was a hazy evening here in the Bay Area (yeah! we're back home!!!) so fireworks viewing was not ideal. We did see some and heard lots more.
    So happy we skyped!
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taylor,

    Mom told one of those "mother truths" - what you need to know, but not exactly the cold hard truth. While it was hazy, the cold hard truth is more that we were lazy. The "rockets' red glare, and the bombs bursting in air" were there for all to see and hear, provided "all" would simply get off their tired butts and climb to the top of your rock. Sadly, we did not do that. Marshall and I watched a bit from the dining room, but we were both so tired that we were falling asleep. So we did the wise, if unmanly, thing and went to bed. Thankfully, Boomer had no big problems with the noise (unlike the dog next door).

    More news when we recover our energy. Was great skyping with you last night.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete