Tuesday, July 5, 2011

A Request to All of You

I have been reading some of the old blog posts from last year's Cornell group, and every time I do, I think about how many people have gone through this program before us. Some of these people we know- they went to our school, they still go to our school. Most of these people, though, we never met- they were from all over the world, they are much older than us.

Every year, 80+ students take Reneta and Mark's course. The entire experience is incredibly special to each one of us- we believe we are special in taking the class. It's about us taking the class. It's always about us. Except it isn't. Really, each one of us is just one in 80+ students every year taking the course. But still, nothing seems to be able to diminish how we feel about being apart of that 80. I am not sure what point I'm trying to make here, actually. This is just something I have been thinking about quite a lot.

Every student will go home with a set of memories different from everyone else's. Every one of us will go on with our separate lives, but we were all here at the same time, on the same days, in the same place, learning the same things.

I just reread what I wrote and I am making it sound as if the program is already over and I am reflecting back on it. I think the reason it sounds like this is because today I realized that I only have about a week and a half of class left, and at this point, I find that so short it hurts.

I can't even imagine how much more I will learn in a week and a half. Nothing is ending yet! We still have tons of material to cover and tons of work to do. I know that. But I also can already imagine myself as a high school senior, back in school, thinking back on this.

My personal goal for the next week and a half is to avoid thinking about the future and how I will feel in the future and just be here, fully here, at Cornell.

If I write anything else that shows I have been getting ahead of myself here, please call me out on it. Seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment