Friday, July 15, 2011

I'M DONE

I'M DONE!!! I know I said last night that I didn't know if I would be sad or excited, but I am SO excited!!! Turning in my final and hearing Professor Kramnick say those final words, "You're done!" just made my heart jump. I can't believe that I have no academic work to do tonight and I definitely cannot believe that the main item on my to do list today is to pack up.

So, the final went well! I don't know if I would say great, but definitely well. The introduction to my essay was a bit off topic, which I realized after I went back and re-read the question, but the rest of my body paragraphs and conclusion were solid. The question I chose prompted me to pick three thinkers that we had covered throughout our class and compare their methods for reaching the goals that they had in mind for society. I chose to write about Plato (who wanted to lie to the people in order to make them subordinate), Martin Luther King Jr. (who contrastingly chose to show people the truth behind racism and prejudice), and Karl Marx (who differed from both of these thinkers in that he just thought his vision of a communist society would inevitably become a reality).

After that were the short essays: First one asked me to compare Locke's ideas of labor and property with Marx's, and the second one asked me to relate the message of one of the speakers we'd had to the fundamental themes of the class (i.e. freedom, justice, or equality). Those essays went fairly well and although I feel like I could have done better, the essays I wrote were about as good as I could have gotten them in twenty minutes, which was our time constraint.

The short answer questions after that went well, but I think I only got partial credit for one of them again like last time! I was solid on four of them, but the fifth one was a little shaky. I definitely knew who said the quote that it asked but I could just barely relate it to that philosopher's overall message. Oh well. 4 1/2 out of 5 isn't bad, haha.

When I turned in my paper I made sure to thank Simon for all of his help and was happy to hear him offer a letter of recommendation. It was such a happy moment. We shook hands and I was on my way.

Now it's time to celebrate. My friends are currently in my room waiting for me to finish this blog so we can go out and play basketball. I don't know what we're going to do with the rest of the night, but I'm just so excited to be done with everything.

Thank you again ILC for sending me out here. This has been one of the most amazing experiences of my life and I would never have been able to do it without you. I appreciate everything you've done for me and I've done the best I can to represent WCCUSD. I can't wait to get home.

To my family, I love you guys, and I'll see you soon.

Have an awesome day readers! I'll talk to you soon. Good bye!

1 comment: