Saturday, June 25, 2011

Cornell Day 1


We stepped out of the limo shuttle onto the campus of Cornell University at around 1:00 pm today, as raindrops fell all around us. We are all residing in the same building- Mary Donlon Hall- and we are all together in the lobby, blogging. Today after Orientation, each course had its own breakout session with its professor(s).

The Hotelies’ instructors, Reneta and Mark McCarthy, gave us a quick overview of what to expect from the course. They also warned us that focus and success in the class could only come with adequate rest and food. Both of them seemed extraordinarily excited to be teaching us, which was inspiring. We also met our head TA, a graduate student from Spain.

At 7 pm all of the Summer College students gathered on the lawn of Mary Donlon for an Ice Cream Social. Some students played games like Ninja, while others threw around a Frisbee or kicked around a soccer ball. Whatever method was used, everyone made new friends. I've met kids from all over the US, as well as from Puerto Rico, Taiwan, China and India.

It’s difficult to wrap my head around the fact that this morning, I got out of bed in Intercontinental, the hotel we stayed at in Chicago. And now we are here.

Class starts Monday and I plan on figuring out what routes to take to class tomorrow. Us Hotelies already have homework. I’m going to sleep so I can wake up early tomorrow and study before I plan out my routes.

No comments:

Post a Comment