Friday, June 3, 2011

The Only Thing Worth Getting Up At Two For

Yesterday evening I went to the last ILC meeting before leaving to Cornell, which proved to be both informational and exciting. Our group was spared from the annual lecture on the importance of being on time because all 35 students were able to make it on time, which apparently has been a rare occasion in past years. Mr. Ramsey and Ms. Kronenberg introduced all the groups and chaperones at the beginning of the meeting. Prior ILCers who were now attending Ivy League schools also went up, which really helped inspire me to one day be in their shoes talking to young students about the great opportunity the Ivy League Connection gave me.

After all the introductions were made and Don explained just how many items we would need to bring with us on our trip, we all broke off into our college groups. 

Once there, Ms. Neal gave us our itinerary for the first couple of days of our trip, which was both uplifting and disheartening at the same time. Okay, actually pretty much all of the itinerary was actually very exciting, and I am even more eager to go to Ithaca than before, which I did not think was possible. 

The one detail I saw in the itinerary that I am not looking forward to is the four in the morning shuttle bus leaving to the airport in 18 days. That time alone threw me off, especially since I am as far away from a morning person as anyone could be. Unfortunately, for me anyway, that time did not represent when we were actually expected to be there, as Don made very clear at the meeting. Don said we should try to be there at 3:30, which in Don time means shoot for around 3:15, which I regrettably will have to do. As I was cursing this terrible way to start this wonderful trip, I realized that it really did not matter at what time I would have to wake up, the important part was that I was actually one of the lucky few who would get to go on this trip. For once in my life, I may actually be looking forward to waking up early in the morning, and those 18 days could not go by quickly enough

1 comment:

  1. Nick,

    I don't understand what the big deal is about being there at 3:00 in the morning (did you notice how I just bumped the time up by another 15 minutes?) That's just about the time I start thinking about going to bed. Everything is relative, Nick.

    Give me a few minutes and I can tell you the horror stories of those that have come before you that failed to respect our demands that our ILCers (and chaperones) arrive on time.

    ReplyDelete